Are you sure you wish to unsubscribe?

Good grief, some suppliers really make it hard to escape from them don't they?

A few years ago, I bought Matt an Xbox for Christmas, and signed him up for a membership package that would allow him to play some games online. The game he particularly enjoyed has now lost it's appeal, so rather than paying £40 a year for something we won't use, I decided to cancel the auto-renew option on the Microsoft Live account.

On attempting to log in, it decided I wasn't logging in from my usual place and insisted on emailing me a special code, meaning I had to log in to my email account, retrieve the code, and enter it onto the website. Then it took me to a page covered in special deals for things I didn't want instead of My Account (silly of me really, expecting the 'My Account' button to take me to, oh, I dunno, maybe something to do with my account...)

When I finally found and clicked the 'change your subscription preferences' link I got a series of pop-up messages bemoaning the fact that I'd be ruining my special Microsoft Live experience and didn't know what damage I'd be doing to my life online - I'd lose gaming privileges, 'community' access, ohhh why wouldn't I see the error of my ways?

Eventually I managed to convince it I really did know what I was doing and was fully prepared to accept the consequences of my actions.

Now to await the inevitable 'you cancelled your subscription, shall we reinstate it for you?' emails...

Comments

  1. They just hate to 'let go'. My current moan is about con-artists in India (?), who phone about 4 times a day trying to empty my bank account on some Microsoft scam. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who's a programmer - he treats it as his duty to keep them hanging on as long as possible (on the basis that every minute they're on the phone to him is a minute they can't be pestering someone else, particularly someone vulnerable).

    He has built a quarantined 'computer' inside one of his developer's computers and gives them access to it, lets them get 99% of the way through installing all their nasty malware and spyware, then factory-resets it and claims to be terribly surprised that it's all gone wrong and 'oh dear, are you going to have to start all over again?'... His record so far is 1 hour 45 minutes with the same scammer.

    I tend to either ask them to 'hang on a minute' and put the phone in the fridge, or tell them they'll need to speak to my IT department and give the phone to my 3 year old. Having 'CALL FIREMAN SAM!' bellowed at them over and over again usually gets shot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My response is usually much shorter, and ends with 'off'.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts