Exhaustimicated

But look what’s poking through the undergrowth in the front garden! Spring’s a springin’…

 

 
Last night was another long night with the poorly little’un. Matt’s eyebags looked like scrotums yesterday evening so I took parenting duty while he slept on the sofa, and poor little’un spent a good chunk of the night in great discomfort thanks to what has been diagnosed this morning as conjunctivitis. He now has eye drops (and unpopular parents/torturers). I suspect a lot of his discomfort has been down to dehydration – he’s hardly wanted to swallow anything since Saturday and getting fluids into him has been a challenge. Thankfully one of the few things he’ll eat at the moment is homemade soup so there’s a slow cooker full of vegetable soup bubbling away in the kitchen. It’s a proper ‘bottom of the fridge special’ (no recipe, just chop up whatever is looking a bit tired and needs using, add a handful of porridge oats/lentils, stock and bayleaves and ignore overnight) but it’s savoury and comforting and saves Matt cooking this evening.

I’ve done my bit to keep them both as comfortable as possible today – before leaving for work I made sure Matt had a chance to shower and was stocked up with tea and toast, the iPad, and squash for the little’un, checked the soup and fished out the bayleaves. With any luck now that little’un is apparently drinking like a fish and looking a bit brighter, Matt will end today feeling more refreshed than yesterday. Particularly important as I’m now at work feeling like my eyeballs have been brined and rolled in the gritty dusty stuff under the fridge so he’s back on duty if little’un has another rough night tonight.

Comments

  1. Oh dear... kids eh? I remember all this stuff from when my brood were small. Don't fret, it only lasts for 16 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm. Hooray?

      I'm looking forward to being at the stage where I can say things like that to younger parents and watch them blanch :o)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts